Matthew J. McColgan serves as a key player in the firm's transportation practice, defending trucking and transportation companies in cases ranging from catastrophic injuries to property damage/cargo claims. His practice consists not only of defending matters in suit, but also providing 24/7 support to investigate incidents and accidents, including on-the-scene responsiveness. The geographic area for Matt’s practice extends throughout New Jersey and Eastern/Central Pennsylvania, both at the state and federal levels. In addition, Matt assists in the defense of premises liability cases and other casualty matters. His litigation experience also includes representing property management, oil, lending and home care businesses. Matt has been certified and serves as an arbitrator for the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas.
Matt earned his Juris Doctorate degree from Widener University School of Law in Harrisburg (now known as Commonwealth Law School). During his time in law school, he was elected as treasurer of the American Constitution Society which he served until graduation. His first practical experience came as a legal intern with the Dauphin County Public Defender’s Office. In that role, he represented clients at preliminary hearings and formal arraignments, and successfully tried a case before a jury to verdict, resulting in an acquittal. Matt concurrently interned with a Harrisburg firm specializing in Family and Estate Law, and assisted one of its founding partners at child custody conciliations. Matt graduated from Widener having achieved Dean’s List and receiving Pro Bono Service distinction.
Notable Results and Events:
- Prepared Amicus Curie brief on behalf of Philadelphia Association of Defense Counsel relating to issues involving disclosure of communications with non-managerial employees by outside counsel and counsel’s related work product.
- Presented as speaker at CLE-accredited luncheon on favorable Superior Court decision in September 2019.
- Summary judgment obtained in Union County, New Jersey on claim stemming from a physical altercation between Plaintiff and Company employee/driver, which resulted in orbital reconstruction surgery where altercation took place beyond scope of employment.
- Successfully petitioned for transfer of Philadelphia County lawsuit filed against Pennsylvania Company to out-of-state jurisdiction where accident occurred in Indiana and neither Plaintiff nor key fact witnesses resided in Pennsylvania.
- Successfully filed and argued motion for summary judgment in Montgomery County, PA on major personal injury lawsuit alleging damage as result of Freight Company’s loading and packaging practices and policies.